Thursday, November 12, 2009

My little rant...

So... I am taking Food Safety and Microbiology as my other course right now and we were talking about some things that made me want to rant a little (and I did on the discussion board a little but need to get more out of my system I think.) We were talking about food safety of course, and it came up that people never used to do things like cook stuffing separately from the turkey to make sure it was cooked, they just stuffed the bird the night before, stuck it in the fridge, then cooked it in the morning. But it brought me back to an earlier discussion about why we can't do things the way they did "in the good old days" anymore... Historically that might have actually been safer than it is now (even despite better stoves and whatnot) because ingredients in that stuffing were probably safer. Historically ingredients were grown and sold locally, at least compared to the global mass markets today. Things were somewhat kept in the area, so cost and production were not as high because demand wasn't as high. But now that your product can be shipped anywhere, it is causing a greater demand for it, so it puts more pressure on the producer to --produce! Money becomes the bottom line and with it that productivity. So things like cheap chemical fertilizers and pesticides are used that would never have gotten near food going to your neighbors, and contamination and foodborne illnesses are much more common. Not only are they more likely because of this, but the outbreak of illness from contamination is much more widespread because that celery that you made got put in people's salads in one part of the world, sent to a company that made the stuffing in another and into soup cans somewhere else. Now not only is your ingredient itself causing illness, but everything it got put into and distributed as! That stuffing you put in the bird the night before just like your mother and grandmother is suddenly not as safe as when they did it... So what I said in my discussion board brought it back full circle... If you want to be able to do things the way it used to be done "in the good old days" then you need to start that good old process much earlier in the chain...

OK off my soapbox again and for the final time tonight. I just needed to say it somewhere, and also needed a blog post for this week, so what better way to kill two birds with one stone as it were? Good luck if you actually read it and I hope some of it made sense to someone! ;-)

3 comments:

  1. OKAY SOAPBOX QUEEN, (RANTING AND RAVING) LOL

    I have read your post and I would say that you were ranting and raving if you were wrong about the subject of the good old days, but as it is you are not. I do however put my stuffing in my bird but I dont put it in there until I am ready to put it in the oven I have never beleived that you should do it the night before. If you thaw things out properly and you prepare it accordingly then you do not have to do the night before thing. I know I have more important things to do then stay up all night and get a turkey ready for the oven. I do however make my pies either the day/night before whenever I get the chance or the feeling hits me. Some people just dont understand about the world and the way things are grown today, and if they do they just like to play dumb and if the family gets sick then of course it is not the cooks fault that he/she didnt follow the new world standards. I hope this make you feel better and like I said if someone thinks you are wrong then that is their opinion as you know we all have one.

    In response to the answer you gave me to my post which is what this was going to be until I read your wonderful ranting above, I think that you should start the rant/rave group, and I could start the weird writing group. I like the idea that you think we should set times, and I think you should set a time and day for your group also.
    Seriously though I dont know if a set in stone method can or could be developed that everyone would want to use. I just do what I think I need to do in order to be able to put together my paper so it makes sense and it covers all of the information that is needed to finish the paper or process, and I dont know why either it is easier for me to just put the presure on and do it all the night before. Maybe it is the satisfaction that I get knowing that it is done and I dont have to worry about it any longer right or wrong. What other choices are there when it comes to writing, dont you think?
    Sherry W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support Sherry! I think we would get along great! Its fun to see someone who thinks like I do! Always a good encouragement that maybe we aren't the weird ones... maybe everyone else is! ;-) And I think you're right, there probably is no right way to write a paper or get prepared for it... The not having to worry about it any more is always my biggest motivation too! Guess we'll never be professional writers, but that was never my goal anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are TOO much! hA HA HA HA! I absolutely LOVE reading each of your writings..always so much personality in them, and so much like me (don't we always love people like us?!!)
    :)

    ReplyDelete